Pages

Subscribe:

DESIGNER Q&A: ADAPT AND AVA DOMINA

We can't stress enough how important an internship is, it's one of the most valuable experiences you can gain and it can help you tremendously on your path to obtain your dream career. You've got to work your way up! This past summer I simultaneously interned for two Bay Area streetwear brands, Adapt and Ava Domina. Get to know the man behind the brands and UC Davis alumnus, Evan Lessler, in this little Q&A session:

Evan's Favorite Design from the F/W 10 collection, The Dot Matrix

What prompted you to create Adapt and Ava Domina? And how did they start?

I've wanted to start a clothing company since high school, and that is how I set my course for the future. The name Adapt and the original logo were actually done in Physics class senior year of High School. Ava was made as a response to feeling like there was space in the women's streetwear market for something new.

Describe your creative process in 3 words.

Concept, Design, Aesthetic

Where do you find inspiration for your designs?

I'm inspired by a lot of different things, but some of the primary ones would be design culture in general, music (hip hop in particular), and the bay area.

Which design is your all time favorite?

I think the design I'm most proud of right now is probably the Dot Matrix tee from Fall/Winter 2010, or one called McLegends that actually never saw the light of day.

Who would you like to collaborate with in the future?

There are a few brands and individuals I'd love to collaborate with, but I don't want to jinx anything so they will remain unnamed. =)

What part of owning your own business is the most challenging? How do you deal with it?

The most challenging aspects are probably just managing the day-to-day operations. Originally I went into it with the idea that design will always be at the fore but that can sometimes be the last thing I think about at the end of a day.

If you could have any super power, what would it be and why?

I'm torn between invisibility (hours of entertainment) or telepathy (I'd really like to know what certain people are thinking).

What are some of your ambitions for the brands?

I just want to see them grow and to continually put out quality product. The day I don't feel like I am making something I am proud of should be the day I stop doing the brands, or move on to new ventures.

What’s the secret ingredient to a brand’s success?

In my opinion, it's just having product that offers something special. Brands that fail are often times not putting out a quality product, or it's not unique enough to stand on it's own. I think customers also appreciate when brands stick to their core values and don't stray from why they began in the first place. Many of my favorite brands growing up eventually fell behind because they grew so large that nobody was really paying attention to the product and why they became popular in the first place, or they just didn't care at that point.

Favorite memory of Davis?

Hard to pick a favorite. I loved going to Fuji's on the weekends, despite the line. One day freshman year it snowed and we had a nice lil snowball fight and snowman building session. I used to DJ at KDVS as well and would be down there at 2 or 3 in the morning, just absorbing all this stuff I had never heard before. It was like Napster but you had the visual element of seeing everything on the racks, it definitely was an important step in my musical education.

Favorite toy as a child? Favorite toy now?

Then: Micro Machines and Ninja Turtles. Now: iPhone.

Which staple piece in your wardrobe do you always reach for when getting dressed?

Nixon Player watch. Picked that up in High School and been rocking it ever since. It was also run over by a car (mine) and only got a little scratched on the band.

Do you have a favorite quote or a saying that you live by?

What the lion cannot manage to do, the fox can.

Lastly, do you have any advice for those who want to start their own business?

It is a lot of work. Much more work than many people are ready for, which is why I think a lot of brands start up with fanfare and then are gone by the end of the year. So I would say be prepared to devote the time and energy, and in turn you will hopefully reap the benefits. If you try and fail, at least no one can tell you that you didn't put in the effort.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

Followers